Thursday, September 23, 2021

Systems Mapping Experience

I created a visual depiction of a system called Systems Mapping. The mapping identifies how I moved through different systems and exist through the different systems.

This assignment provided me the general sense of how I existed through different systems and how those systems created connections to other systems during my entire lifespan. In my most recent memory, working as an assistant teacher at a private school, opened my eyes even further experiencing the importance of relationship exchanges between family and school. Without one side overpowering the other, supported the needs necessary for a child to succeed in their new surroundings. As Keys points out, "the image of a good relationship is an effective separation of roles and functions between home and school, an optimal social distance combined with mutual respect" (p.179). My personal experiences maneuvering through the speed-bumps while positioning myself to exist in a whole new system helped me branch out to other systems that is yet to be explored.

Looking back and visually seeing my life events through the mapping system, I reflect seeing how my life was full of up and downs, which is typical in anyone's lifetime. Losing my freedom of speaking my native language out in public was part of the downfall I experienced in life. My point is further supported by Allen who states, "from then on, I became overly sensitive and self-conscious about myself, even my culture. I even went so far as to not speak my native language out on the streets or at school" (Allen 2007, as cited in Frank 2003, 32). The most important aspect was how I overcame adversity and through the countless racism that I experienced during my life. I hope to connect my finding with my son, as I guide him through life living in America, just how I experienced it when I was his age.

Now that I completed the systems mapping assignment, my thinking has changed a bit on how I would have created additional systems that would interconnect how I overcame the racism, bullying, and adversity of the different periods of my life. I would also add on the genre constructs of extended family and how each and every one has changed me as a person growing up in the United States of America as a Japanese-American citizen.

I can modify this assignment by introducing the drawbacks of racism and the critical outcome of bullying. I would also provide personal experience on how I was able to overcome these adversities and what I can do going forward to help other students fight racism and bullying. Introducing new ways on how to fight bullying from people you have never met, such as through the internet from the likes of social network services. 

Key questions can be addressed:

    - In what ways can we overcome racism and deconstruct the idea that one person or race is better than the other?

    - What are some ways or actions we as teachers can incorporate to sustain teacher-parent partnerships?

    - How and what efforts do you incorporate in sustaining other related systems that you exist?


References
Cooper, Camille W. (2009). Parent Involvement, African American Mothers, and the Politics of Education Care, Equity & Excellence in Education, 42:4, 379-394,    DOI: 10.1080/10665680903228389.

Keys, Carol R. A Way of Thinking about Parent/Teacher Partnerships for Teachers. International Journal of Early Years Education, Vol.10, No.3, 2002. 177-191.


10 comments:

  1. How will you create a version of this assignment so that your students caN DO IT IN CLASS OR AS A HOME FAMILY PROJECT?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would provide specific instructions on where to start and where to look for ideas when constructing a systems mapping of yourself. The most simple approach I would use to tell my students is how involved in a daily basis on what he/she goes through each day of the week. Weekdays would be in school so built your thought process of what's happening in school, who is involved and how the education provided branches out to other systems that the students are involved in. This can be associated through social gatherings with friends they meet at school or after-school programs that serve an extension of the child's academic development. Next, I would have them focus on their home environment and to ask them who and how is involved in their daily lives. Would it be just their parents or would the family system extend to involvements through their siblings or other family members/relatives? For an assignment designed at home, the family project will be designed around the family. Everyone's ideas and knowledge will go into the subject of the child and how the system mapping would branch out using the family structure tree and how each person is somehow involved or related to the child. The family project can also be a great lesson and knowledge of identifying the history and culture of the child's family background.

      Delete
  2. What might you do to create a community advice map of people who have overcome racism and adversity and make it accessible for young people?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The first thing in mind when we hear racism and adversity are the fears that are implanted through what we see, share and feel for differences from others. When there are unknowns and differences of personal values, typically leads to agony and violence, all because one group in a race believes they are superior than the other. The teaching of racial justice needs to start from the home, with supporting parents and caregivers that offer educational advice about the differences of race and cultural heritages. Bringing opportunities to explain the differences of race to children and most importantly, assist the building blocks to educate young children on racial literacy. To build awareness, knowledge and thoughtful skills to interact with other races in society. The ability to identify and possess the strategies to cope against racism are also vital developmental skills young children can become accustom to.

      Delete
  3. How do you help people understand that bullying looks different when it is shaped through racism?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The common factor in discussing the unknown is talking through the question about skin color and why people have differences from what you are known to be born with. Upon acknowledging the racial diversity of people, the caregivers and teachers would need to encourage the differences and celebrate who we are as individual human beings. There are always questions to be asked so it is crucial for any person to ask questions on almost anything that feels off to that person. Acknowledging the differences are the key for equity of all human values.

      Delete
  4. Hey Dan!
    Thank you for sharing your treasure and system mapping! I would of loved to see your system mapping better, the picture was blurry when trying to zoom in. Your post gave me insight as to who you are as a person. I learned a lot about you and your struggles. And how everyone encounters bullying and racism differently.
    My questions to you would be
    1. if you could elaborate your beginning statement, on importance of maintaining a family and school partnership and what would you do differently as parent now based off of your past experiences?
    2.how were you able to navigate or overcome a racist system when you encountered it?
    3. not really a question but I would love to hear your ideas on fighting back bullying especially for social media.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not sure why it say's unknown but it's me Leslie!

      Delete
    2. Hi Leslie,
      Thank you very much for taking the time and sharing your thoughts and questions about my post. Racism is a huge issue on this planet and appearing in almost every country in a way where values are not treated with respect and dignity. Therefore, asking questions and bringing in more knowledge on the unknowns is a great start for equity in life. Let's begin by answering these questions:

      1) Nothing is easy, life itself isn't easy. The expectation level of any given family or school for their children are unbalanced which causes tension and can disintegrate any expectations of success to a child. By asking questions, collaborate a dialogue and be sure to stay on the same plain level as the family so that there aren't any surprises going forward. As a current parent, I would definitely engage more with the school, to know my teacher better, to have him/her know us better as a person and parent, and to be sure that we are both on the same level when it comes down to what we expect out of the school and to offer them what they can expect from the school perspective.

      2) I've learned to stay true to myself, believing in who I am as a person, always talking to myself that I have a freedom to express my beliefs and values, and to be surrounded by people who also have the same beliefs and values as myself. You can always nest around people with positive vibes but not the other way around.

      3) There is really no way to stop bullying from another. However, as parents, we can prevent ways for cyberbullying to not happen or be less frequent. We can't monitor everything what a child does on social media, but we can monitor the sites that the child visits, locating patterns of bullying. Passwords should be readily available and ALWAYS set rules on appropriate digital behavior, content, and apps. Obviously ignoring the whole thing is easier said than done, but the important thing is to be kind and respectful, even to those haters out there. Just be yourself and know what to say, when to say it. A child's number one supporter is the parent so support and don't be judgmental.

      Delete
  5. Hello Dan. I hope you and your Family find well. I liked the structure of your System Mapping and the clear explanation that you provided it. As an educator, it is important to know that you have been through many prejudices or obstacles overcome, giving you an idea of how to manage inequality in your classroom because I have witnessed bullying and racism in my path to becoming an educator. Now you know the importance of the fight against inequality, I would like to know: Who will be your first partnership choice?
    What kind of workshop will you create to target the inequality in your classroom?

    ReplyDelete

Family School Community Intervention Plan

This week, we were provided an assignment that leads to our Family School Community partnership that I hope to incorporate in my future ende...